You don’t have to be health freak or even worse, a vegan, to enjoy some seriously beautiful treats that are completely dairy and egg free. With extra added protein (and possibly a little chocolate), you will be burning extra calories for an excuse to finish the babies!
- 1 cup plain flour, feel free to experiment with different flours, spelt works well here (always wholemeal or 50/50 mix)
- 2 cups self-raising flour (always wholemeal or 50/50 mix)
- 1 teaspoon bicarb
- Drop of apple cider vinegar to ensure activation
- 1/4 cup Vegan protein powder (pea for no taste, hemp for slightly earthy/nutty taste)
- 125g vegan butter or oil (melt and cool)
- 2/3 large pears (not too ripe)
- 3 tbsp ground chia seed
- 1 cup warm water for chia
- 1/2 cup sugar or syrup (Date syrup for the sugar conscious)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or half a pod
- 1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh raspberries (covered in flour so as not to sink to bottom)
- Cake cases
- Optional – nuts and seeds, probiotics ( REAL dark chocolate, microalgae)
Prep time: 30mins Cook time: 35-45min Makes: 10-12
- Lay out cake cases in a muffin tray.
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Sift flours, protein powder and bicarb together into a large mixing bowl and create a well in the middle.
- Melt butter and let cool
- Peel pears and chop. Lightly boil half the pears in half a cup of water and half the sugar/syrup until soft.
- Puree/mash pears and leave to cool.
- Mix 3 tbsp ground chia with cup of hot but not boiling water. Mix and leave to cool. End result should resemble texture of raw egg if not thicker.
- Put pear puree, cool butter/oil, chia, rest of the sugar, apple cider vinegar and vanilla into a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add wet mix to dry mix and stir and still just combined.
- Add remaining raw chopped pear and 3/4 the raspberries covered in flour and stir.
- Spoon mixture into cake cases.
- Place the last of the raspberries rolled in flour on top of the muffins. Make sure to push them down a little so that they do not burn or dry out too much.
- Place into middle shelf of oven and cook for 35-45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Try hard not to open the oven too much during cooking, changes in temperature will create a denser cake.
- Let stand for 15 minutes (if you can!)
- Serve with ‘Nice Cream’, cashew cream, coconut yogurt or your favorite coffee.
- Lastly, enjoy your hard work and solid life choices!